THE CONSTITUTION OF THE WALTHAM
AMATEUR RADIO ASSOCIATION
This association has been organized in order to promote better
cooperation and harmony among amateur radio operators, to better assume the obligations
that are ours, to promote better cooperation between the amateur and the broadcast
listener and to make ourselves of more service to our country and community.
- The name of this association is the "Waltham Amateur Radio Association".
- All active members on the secretary's list at this date, March 15, 1938, are to be
considered as charter members.
- A new member may be admitted only by a 2/3 vote of the members present at a meeting.
- A new member must attend two meetings within one month as a visitor before his name may
be voted on for admission to the association.
- A member may be requested to resign from the association by a 2/3 vote of the membership
- The officers of the association are President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- The officers will be elected once a year, on the second Tuesday in January and take
office the following Tuesday.
- Two or more members will be nominated for each office.
- The President shall officiate at all meetings.
- The President appoints all committees and is a member of all committees.
- In case of the absence of the President, the Secretary shall preside at the meetings and
in the case of absence of both President and Secretary, the Treasurer shall preside.
- The Secretary's duties are to keep a record of the minutes of all meetings, to transact
all official business and to keep all other records concerning the association as a whole.
- The Secretary shall keep a copy of the constitution present at all meetings.
- The Treasurer shall have charge of all money matters.
- The Treasurer shall make no expenditures unless authorized to do so by the association.
- A 2/3 vote of the membership list is necessary to authorize the Treasurer to make an
- All financial obligations assumed by the association will be met by the association and
not by and individual member.
- The Treasurer shall submit a duplicate signed copy of the treasury report to the
Secretary on the first Tuesday of every month.
- Any officer may be impeached by a 2/3 vote of the membership list.
- The meetings are to be held promptly at eight o'clock, every Tuesday evening, except in
case of unforeseen circumstances.
- There will be no meeting when the meeting night falls on a National Legal Holiday.
- The meetings will start on the second Tuesday after Labor Day and willl cease for the
summer on the last Tuesday in June.
- All meetings are to be conducted by parlimentary rule.
- 1/2 the membership list will constitute a quorum.
- No business meeting will exceed one hour in length.
- All voting concerning membership, election of officers and impeachment shall be done by
the "Australian Ballot" method. All other voting shall be done by raising the
- The remaining portion of the meeting shall be devoted to lectures, demonstrations and
- Any member has the right to inspect the constitution for clarification.
- All meetings must be adjourned not later than midnight.
- The dues of the association shall be ten cents per member, each meeting.
- Members shall be required to pay dues whether they are present at the meeting or not.
- Any member who falls behind four weeks in paying his dues shall automatically be
suspended until his back dues are paid.
6. Method of Amending
- A 2/3 vote of the membership list shall be required to add an amendment to the
- A 2/3 vote of the membership list shall be required to appeal an amendment.
- A 2/3 vote of the members present at this meeting shall be required to put this
constitution into affect. All other documents previous to this constitution shall be
considered null and void as soon as this has been ratified.
- An amendment is hereby added to Section 3, Article a. This shall be made to read
"The officers in the Association are President, Secretary, Treasurer and
The undersigned are Charter Members of the Association.
This document has been re-typed in order to provide a clear image which you can
easily read. Every effort has been taken to assure that every word is exactly that
which was adopted as the first constitution of the association on March 15, 1938.
The original of this document still exists and is preserved in the club archives.
I haven't found any document which lists the original, charter members of the
association. Should I happen upon that list during this "adventure of
discovery" I'll provide it as an image file, later. (N1USS, Ron Perry)}